In today’s eat-and-run lifestyle and changing, weather conditions refreshing and invigorating fruit and vegetable juices are the best bet since they provide a concentrated boost of benefits. They are full of nutrients as they retain most of the goodness of whole fruits/vegetables and are in fact seen as ‘vitamin and mineral cocktails’.
NUTRITIVE, PROTECTIVE AND THERAPUTIC ROLES
There are those major roles that fruit and vegetables play in the human body-nutritive, protective and therapeutic roles.
- Fruits and vegetables contain substantial amounts of carbohydrates which supply energy to human body to live and perform other functions, and generous amounts of vitamins which help regulate metabolism. Juices extracted from such fruits and vegetables are in fact rich in minerals and microelements that are necessary for the nerve and muscle function and are the material for some body tissues.
- The protective effects of fruits and vegetable juices are many. For starters, these are rich in substances such as carotenoids, bioflavonoids, lycopene amongst many others that protect the body from diseases such as cancer and heart diseases. Fruits and vegetable juices are also high in antioxidants such as beta-carotene, Vitamin C and E and selenium which protect cell membranes from free radical damage. These juices also flush old and dead cells out of our body, help in dissolving salty build-up and dissolve stones in kidneys.
- Fruit and vegetable juices are also known for their therapeutic benefits for centuries. For example, Naturopaths believe beetroot juice helps in strengthening the lymphatic system-the body’s primary defence against infection. Spinach cucumber juice is recommended for better skin, hair and nails.
Some common ailments and how juices are beneficial in their treatment:
- Acidity: Grapes, papaya, guava, carrot and spinach.
- Acne: Grapes, pear, plum, tomato, cucumber, carrot, potato and spinach.
- Anaemia: Apricot, prune, strawberry, red grape, celery, carrot and spinach.
- Arthritis: Sour cherries, pineapple, sour apple, lemon, grapefruit, cucumber, beet, carrot, lettuce, and spinach.
- Asthma: All fruits and vegetables.
- Bladder ailments: Apple, apricot, lemon, cucumber, carrot, celery, parsley and watercress.
- Colds: Lemon, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, carrot, onion, celery and spinach.
- Constipation: Apple, peat, grapes, lemon, carrot, beet, spinach and watercress.
- Diabetes: Citrus fruits, carrot, celery, lettuce and spinach.
- Diarrhoea: All fruit juices
- Eye disorders: Apricot, tomato, carrot, celery, parsley and spinach.
- Headache: Grapes, lemon, carrot, lettuce and spinach.
- Heart disease: Red grapes, lemon, cucumber, carrot, beet and spinach.
- High blood pressure: Grapes, orange, cucumber, carrot and beet.
- Influenza: Apricot, orange, lemon, grapefruit, pineapple, carrot, onion and spinach.
- Jaundice: Lemon, grapes, pear, carrot, celery, spinach, beet and cucumber.
- Kidney disorders: Apple, guava, pineapple, cucumber and beet.
- Liver ailments: Lemon, papaya, grapes, carrot, tomato, beet and cucumber.
- Menstrual disorders: Grapes, prunes, cherry, spinach, lettuce, turnips and beet.
- Obesity: All vegetable and fruits.
- Stomach ulcers: Apricot, grapes, cabbage and carrot.
GO FOR PACKAGED JUICES
Rather than going to roadside vendors, packaged or carton juices are the most feasible option. They are not only hygienic and nutritional but also ensure that the rays of the sun do not harm and soak away all the goodness of the juice inside unlike the case of loose juices. The packaging maintains the freshness, nutritional quality and the exact taste of the juice. Moreover they do not contain any preservatives and can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 months (if not opened).
Fruit and vegetable juices are perfect food supplements. They are far tastier and in some ways than the isolated nutrients found in vitamin pills. There are many delicious fruit-vegetable juices available in the market such as orange-carrot, Mixed Fruit-beet root carrot and Mixed Fruit cucumber spinach. They provide you with goodness of fruit and vegetable with no added sugar, no added colour, and no added preservatives. So reach out for your favourite juice and get on the way to good health.